- Category: Universities
wansea University has a clear vision of becoming a research-led university of international quality. The University, in 2004 launched a set of policies designed to accelerate the pace of its development. The target was to improve the University’s research performance prior to the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise (RAE). The results of the RAE 2008 showed that:
- The university attained the highest growth in world-leading and international quality research activity in the UK – a 207% increase on the 2001 RAE. (The average increase in England was 6%).
- Civil Engineering ranked 2nd in the UK, General Engineering ranked 5th.
- Medicine ranked 7th in the UK.
- Computer Science ranked 21st in the UK.
- Within Wales, out of 31 subject areas, Swansea ranked 1st in 17 areas, and 1st or 2nd in 24 areas.
- 91% The percentage of graduates in full-time employment or further study within six months of graduating. (HESA data 2008/09)
- 90% of international students agree that Swansea is a good place to be
- 6th safest place in the UK to live and study (2009 Complete University Guide survey)
- £20 Million Sports Village, including 50m Wales National Pool Swansea
- 3000 pound Excellence Scholarship for all students who achieve three A grades at ‘A’ level or equivalent
- £65 Million The value of research grants awarded to the University in 2009/10
- £70 million Meridian Quay development home to Wales’ tallest building.
- Swansea covers an area of 378 sq. kilometers (66% rural and 34% urban).
- A 2009 Complete University Guide survey of the safest places to live and study ranks Swansea sixth in the UK.
- Three Swansea Bay beaches named in Times Top 50 beaches.
- The cleanest city in Wales, and the 2nd cleanest in the UK (Clean Britain Awards 2009).
- The largest covered market in Wales, with 100 independent stalls.
A vibrant student city, Swansea has it all. From a thriving cultural and sporting scene to an awesome night life, stunning coastal scenery to tranquil parks, and great shopping to the best of modern city living, Swansea is the ideal place to build your future.
The University is planning an ambitious campus expansion and development programme that will enable it to double in size and further enhance the student experience.